Makes about 1½ to 1¾ cups
Prepare your crumbled tofu by cooking it first and it will make all of the difference in the world. You can also use it in place of mashed tofu. This extremely versatile crumbled tofu is both vegan and gluten-free (V-GF).
This technique will keep the results of your hard work from becoming too soggy, a natural outcome when using fresh tofu. Pressing tofu to remove some of the excess moisture can be very time consuming. By cooking the tofu first, you are able to press out even more of the water. It also removes some of the raw soybean flavor associated with fresh tofu.
Crumbled Tofu is frequently used as a substitute for ground beef in vegetarian recipes. Keeping this in mind, we add Kitchen Bouquet® to give it some color and flavor. That is really all of the seasoning that you need. Most of the time the tofu will absorb the flavors of the dish that it is being added to. Crumbled Tofu is the foundation for making Tofu Burgers, Tofu Meatloaf, and Tofu Italian Meatballs. Its most useful function is to make "Ground Beef" Tofu which will be featured in the next post. "Ground Beef" Tofu is crumbled tofu that has been fried in olive oil. This gives it a meatier texture and more flavor than the basic Crumbled Tofu. If you would like to avoid the oil, you can also bake the crumbled tofu instead of frying it.
1. Drain the tofu and place in a 2-quart saucepan. Mash with a potato masher until the tofu is the consistency of mashed potatoes. You should have about 2 cups of mashed tofu.
2. Add the 1½ teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet® to 1¼ cups of water in a measuring cup. Stir the water mixture into the tofu until well blended.
3. Cook the tofu over medium-high heat until it begins to simmer gently. This will take about 10 minutes. Stir the tofu frequently to help keep it from sticking to the pan.
4. Let it simmer slowly for 2 to 3 minutes. If you boil it too hard it is sure to splatter and make a terrible mess.You just want to make sure that the tofu is heated evenly all of the way through.
5. Place a colander in the sink and line the colander with a pressing cloth or clean dishtowel. Pour the tofu mixture into the cloth-lined colander.
6. Join the four corners of the cloth together above the tofu and twist closed. Squeeze and press with a potato masher to remove as much liquid as possible.
7. Remove the tofu from the pressing cloth and place in a bowl.
8. Mash again until it resembles cottage cheese. What you should have now is about 1¾ cups of crumbled tofu.
Crumbled Tofu can be used immediately in other recipes or covered and stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. It is the main ingredient for making Fried "Ground Beef" Tofu and Tofu Burgers ("Copycat" Grillers by MorningStar Farms®).
If you would like to use this Perfect Crumbled Tofu in recipes that call for mashed tofu, then you can omit the Kitchen Bouquet® Browning Sauce which gives it a tan color.
Notes: This recipe calls for extra firm tofu. You can use firm tofu if you like, but the resulting crumbled tofu will have smaller curds creating a finer texture which may or may not be a problem for you.
Welcome to my world of vegetarian cooking. My name is Rev. McKinney. The purpose of this blog is to show you that adopting a vegetarian diet does not have to be a traumatic experience.
Some of the links here are affiliate links and we will earn a very small commission if you purchase through those links. I recommend the products listed because they are from companies that I have found to be consistent and reliable.